Why study Agricultural and Rural Policy at Iowa State?
1. Innovative degree program… ISU has the only undergraduate degree in agriculture and rural policy in the nation!
2. Flexibility to customize your degree… The Ag Policy curriculum offers the flexibility to accommodate the special interests and needs of each student. A specialization area outside the major is required that allows students to double major or minor in agricultural business, political science, international studies, animal science or agronomy, sustainability, or even urban studies.
3. Learning outside the classroom… the Ag Policy major allows academic credit for internships and international travel experiences. Further, many of our courses are project based, where you work with rural communities and agricultural groups.
4. High placement rate… About 100% of our graduates had jobs or were continuing their education within 6 months of graduation.
5. Our major started in 1919…the Ag Policy major has a long history at ISU stretching back 110 years. Read more about the history of our major.
6. Lots of alumni… ISU is the 2nd largest college of agriculture in the U.S.! (IPEDS, U.S. Dept of Education)
7. High quality education… ISU is ranked the 8th best college of agriculture in the nation! (Farms.com)
8. Excellent job networking… ISU has the largest Ag Career Day in the nation, allowing you to interact with representatives from a range of agricultural firms.
9. You can study all aspects of agriculture… ISU is one on the most comprehensive colleges of agriculture. You can take classes in agricultural production (Agricultural Systems Technology, Agronomy and Seed Science, Animal Science and Ecology, Dairy Science, Forestry, Horticulture), food and nutrition (Diet and Exercise, Dietetics, Food Science, Nutritional Science), environment and global agriculture (Environmental Science, Global Resource Systems, International Agriculture), the social sciences (Agricultural Education, Agricultural Business, Agricultural and Rural Policy), as well as the basic life sciences (Biochemistry, Biology, Genetics, Microbiology).